Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Starlet Redemption | Five Young Women Bring Class Back to Hollywood


Inspired by youth, Taylor Swift on my Magazine and Computer Screen


When I received my March Issue of Elle Magazine and found the effervescent Taylor Swift on the cover, I was reminded of the strong pull teens have on the market. Taylor Swift is an adult but the people who look up to her are in high school or younger. Seeing Ms. Swift made me think of who I used to look up to...

I'm a child of the 90s which means as I entered my middle school years the girls in all the magazines were drunken party hoppers who flashed their privates at paparazzi, did drugs in public and sold their own sex tapes. Don't get me wrong, I don't think these women were trying to do any harm except maybe to themselves; and I'd rather not feed into the whole cliche of "celebrity as role model" but I would be lying if I said my friends and I didn't tune into every episode of The Simple Life with Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton. I have distinct memories of me and my friends running around in our training bras giggling "That's hot." and pretending to hide from the paparazzi while chugging ginger ale in place of champagne. I idolized Lindsay Lohan from the age of 9 when I saw her in The Parent Trap. I instantly wanted be exactly like her. As the years went by and Lindsay started to shed her good girl image and her clothes, I mimicked her every move. I don't blame the starlets of those years for my behavior or my short skirts but I do wish there had been some classier young women around when I was that age. But there is hope for the next generation! The era of the hot mess is dead and  these five lovely girls are proof! Each of them is confident, fashionable, beautiful and sexy (yes, sexy) from the inside out.

CHLOË MORETZ
Age: 16
Break Out Role: Mindy Macready / Hit-Girl in Kick-Ass (2010)
Upcoming Films: Carrie

DAKOTA & ELLE FANNING
From Left to Right
 Age: 19, 14
Break Out Role: Lucy Diamond Dawson in I Am Sam (2001), Alice Dainard in Super 8 (2011)
Upcoming Film: Effie, Maleficent

ABIGAIL BRESLIN
Age: 17
Break Out Role: Olive Hoover in Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
Upcoming Films: The Call


SALENA GOMEZ
Age: 20
Break Out Role: Alex Russo on Wizards of Waverly Place (2007-2012)
Upcoming Film:  Behaving Badly



No comments:

Post a Comment